See more categories

ABARE Energy Report 2011

Posted on 21 Sep 2011

Demand for energy continues to grow, both domestically and overseas, with emerging economies, including those in our region, projected to account for a significant proportion of this growth in coming decades.

In the Australian Bureau of Agricultural and Resource Economics (ABARE) report an insight into Australia’s energy consumption and production is provided. Some of the data indicates:

  • Australia has maintained its position as the world’s ninth-largest energy producer, accounting for around 2.4 per cent of world energy production;
  • Energy exports have accounted for 34 per cent of the value of Australia’s total exports of goods and services in 2009-10 (up one per cent on the previous year);
  • Renewable energy has maintained its contribution of around seven per cent to Australian electricity generation, the use of hydroelectricity has decreased but been offset by an increase in the use of wind, solar and biofuels;
  • Domestic energy consumption has accounted for 32 per cent of Australia’s energy production with net exports accounting for the remaining 68 per cent; and
  • Expenditure on research and development (R&D) in energy totalled almost $2.9 billion in 2008-09, up from $2.1 billion in 2006-07.

For the full report:
http://adl.brs.gov.au/data/warehouse/pe_abares99001789/Energy_in_Aust_2011_13a.pdf


Scientists just made a breakthrough with hydrogen powered cars, 13 Aug 2018 Ergon Energy Apprenticeships open for application, 8 Aug 2018 Resurgent resources boosting jobs in Queensland, 5 Aug 2018