This is an interactive activity that allows students to explore the processes involved in the mining and processing of copper ore and the production of copper. Students initially place the processes in correct sequence and can then select each stage to animate it and access relevant information. The smelting stage includes an activity on writing chemical equations.
Queensland Resources Council acknowledges valuable assistance from Xstrata Copper in the development of this product. Educational value statement
Key learning objectives
- Allows students to focus separately on each stage of the production process.
- Includes a concise description of each stage as well as a more detailed information sheet
- The equation-writing activity includes some guided feedback.
- Students describe and explain the sequence of processes occurring during the extraction and production of copper.
- Students identify the physical and chemical changes occurring during the production of copper
- Students recognise that minerals such as copper ore provide valuable resources.
- Students write word or balanced symbol equations to represent the smelting of copper concentrate.
Science Understanding: Chemical sciences; Earth and space sciences
Australian Curriculum content statements