This is a Google Earth interactive map showing the locations of operating mines in Australia. Each location is represented by name and an icon corresponding to the commodities extracted. Students can click on the icon to see basic information about the commodities, the operator and location of the mine.
Queensland Resources Council wishes to acknowledge the considerable assistance provided by Geoscience Australia in the provision of these maps.
NB: To view this map, Google Earth is required. To download Google Earth, go to http://earth.google.com/download-earth.html Educational value statement
Key learning objectives
- Uses data supplied by the Australian Mines Atlas
- Students can select which types of mine are displayed
- Students can access street view and 3D building view for some locations
- Can be downloaded as a KML file.
- Students investigate the locations of operating mines in Australia.
- Students identify the important mineral commodities extracted in Australia
- Students use geographical information systems to locate and explore places.
- Science Understanding: Earth and space sciences
- (Geographical knowledge and understanding: Place)
- (Geographical skills)
Australian Curriculum content statements