This is a video clip of an animated character, Ette, describing the massive 345 tonne Caterpillar rear dump truck. The clip shows actual footage of this giant of the mining industry as well as computer generated imagery including an elephant and petrol bowser. Ette provides details on the dimensions and specifications of the truck including size, horsepower, engine and fuel capacity, and costs to run and replace components of the truck.
Educational value statement
- Demonstrates the scale of the vehicle by comparing its attributes to those of familiar objects.
- Provides information on dimensions, power, engine type, fuel capacity, loaded and unloaded mass, top speed and cost of components.
- Can be downloaded as a Flash video file.
Key learning objectives
- Students gather information about an easily identifiable and significant piece of equipment used in the mining industry.
- Students compare dimensions and capacity of a machine to obtain perspective of its scale.
- Students identify some units of measure relating to size, speed and power including horsepower, weight, and kilometres per hour.
- Science as a Human Endeavour: Use and influence of science.
- Science Understanding: Physical Sciences
Australian Curriculum content statements (explicit)
Science: ACSHE135; ACSSU076
Australian Curriculum content statements (implicit or able to be connected)
Science: ACSHE062; ACSHE135