This resource is an animated movie, which combines voice over, text and images to explain what is meant by magnetic imaging. It explains how magnetic imaging can assist in mineral exploration by measuring the local magnetic field characteristics of a surveyed region. It describes how an analysis of aboveground magnetic fields can indicate the presence of underground ore deposits.
A short animation about magnetic imaging can be found on our YouTube channel, by clicking here.
Educational Value Statement
- Explains what is meant by magnetic imaging.
- Describes the earth’s magnetic field.
- Explains that different minerals have different magnetic characteristics.
- Explains how magnetic imaging technology is used to detect the presence of underground ore deposits.
- Describes the instruments used to measure magnetic fields.
- Explains how data is collected and analysed.
Key Learning Objectives
- Students understand what is meant by magnetic surveying.
- Students appreciate how magnetic imaging assists in mineral exploration.
- Students learn about the earth’s magnetic field.
- Students learn that different minerals have their own magnetic characteristics.
- Students understand that by analysing above ground magnetic fields, underground ore deposits can be identified.
- Students learn about the technology used in magnetic surveying.
- Students describe how data is gathered and analysed.
- Science Understanding: Physical Sciences
- Science as a Human Endeavour
Australian Curriculum content statements
Science: ACSSU153; ACSHE050; ACSHE081