This is a fact sheet that provides information about open-cut mining and how the environmental impacts are managed.
Educational value statement
- Describes how open-cut mining is carried out
- Includes a table listing environmental impacts of underground mining and how each impact is managed.
- Can be downloaded as a PDF file.
Key learning objectives
- Students describe how mineral resources are extracted by open-cut mining
- Students explain how environmental impacts of open-cut mining can be managed.
- Science Understanding: Earth and space sciences
- Science as a Human Endeavour: Use and influence of science
- Geographical knowledge and understanding.
Australian Curriculum content statements (explicit)
Science: ACSSU075; ACSHE120; ACSHE121; ACSHE135; ACSHE136
Australian Curriculum content statements (implicit or able to be connected)