This is a fact sheet that provides information about the techniques used in underground mining and how the environmental impacts are managed.
Educational value statement
- Includes descriptions of stope mining, block caving, room and pillar mining and longwall mining
- Includes a table listing environmental impacts of underground mining and describing how each impact is managed.
- Can be downloaded as a PDF or MS Word file.
Key learning objectives
- Students describe some techniques of underground mining
- Students explain how environmental impacts of underground mining can be managed
- Science Understanding: Earth and space sciences
- Science as a Human Endeavour: Use and influence of science
- Geographical knowledge and understanding
Australian Curriculum content statements (explicit)
Science: ACSSU075; ACSHE120; ACSHE121; ACSHE135; ACSHE136
Australian Curriculum content statements (implicit or able to be connected)