|Year Level(s)||Years 3-6, Years 7-10, Years 11-12|
|Subject Area(s)||General Science, Engineering Technology, Geography, Earth & Environmental Science, Science, SOSE|
|Topic(s)||Opencut Mining, Coal & Low Emission Technology, Underground Mining, Non-Renewable Energy, Energy, Minerals Processing, Geology / Mineral Formation, Mining, Rocks & Minerals|
|Resource Type||Fact Sheet|
This fact sheet describes how coal is formed, mined, processed and used. Diagrams illustrate the formation of coal, from early plant material to the hardest black coal. Statistics relating to Queensland coal mining are included.
Educational value statement
- Explains coal formation, underground and open-cut mining, coal processing and uses for coal.
- Includes a table showing the income from coal exported from Queensland ports to other countries.
- Can be downloaded as a PDF or MSWord file.
Key learning objectives
- Students describe the stages in the formation of coal
- Students describe the main methods of mining and processing coal
- Students describe the main uses of coal, including generating electricity.
Australian Curriculum content statements
- Science Understanding: Earth and space sciences; Physical sciences
- (Geographical knowledge and understanding: Environment)