Find out how emissions from coal-burning can be reduced by turning the coal into syngas. This is a fact sheet describing methods of coal gasification, and how the resulting syngas can drive a combined cycle power generator. It lists the advantages of the technology, including low emissions and increased efficiency as well as the disadvantages.
Educational value statement
Key learning objectives
- Includes diagrams showing the gasification and generation cycle
- Can be downloaded as a PDF or MSWord file.
- Students describe the production of syngas by gasification of coal
- Students explain how combined cycle power generation results in increased efficiency and reduced emissions
- Students discuss how low emission technologies have developed from the values and needs of contemporary society
- Students describe how chemistry can be used to produce useful fuels.
Science Understanding: Chemical sciences; Earth and space sciences; Physical sciences Australian Curriculum content statements