Find out how industries can reduce their carbon footprints. This is an information sheet describing practices that can be used by industry to make energy use more efficient and thus reduce power bills as well as lowering greenhouse gas emissions. A number of examples from the mining industry, such as the redesign of dragline buckets, are given, and some photographs are included.
Educational value statement
Key learning objectives
- Explains how energy audits can be used to identify targets for action.
- Includes strategies that can be applied in all industries
- Can be downloaded as a PDF or MSWord file.
- Students describe strategies for increasing energy efficiencies in industry and decide which of these can be applied to their homes.
- Students recognise that in energy transfer and transformation, systems are not 100% efficient and that the efficiency of many systems can be improved.
- Students describe how science and technology can contribute to finding solutions to the problem of greenhouse gas emissions.
Australian Curriculum content statements
- Science Understanding: Physical sciences
- Science as a Human Endeavour: Use and influence of science.