Experiment with mining using a piece of fruitcake. This is an activity sheet providing instructions for a simulated mining experiment. Students use various tools to remove different fruits, representing different minerals, from a piece of fruit cake, which represents the mine site. They are then required to rehabilitate the 'mine site'. The sheet includes questions to test student understanding and a teacher guide. Educational value statement
Key learning objectives
- Simulates the issues related to extracting minerals with different values
- Deals with the environmental impact of mining
- Includes a section for teachers with details of requirements, a lesson plan and extension activities
- Can be downloaded as a PDF file.
- Students explain the relationship between rocks and minerals
- Students describe the issues involved in mining and rehabilitating combined ore bodies
- Students demonstrate how mining can produce changes in the Earth’s surface.
Australian Curriculum content statements
- Science Understanding: Earth and space sciences
- (Geographical knowledge and understanding: Environment)