This is an interactive activity that allows students to explore
the processes involved in the mining and processing of copper
ore and the production of copper. Students initially place the
processes in correct sequence and can then select each stage to
animate it and access relevant information. The smelting stage
includes an activity on writing chemical equations. Queensland
Resources Council acknowledges valuable assistance from Xstrata
Copper in the development of this product. Educational value
- Allows students to focus separately on each stage of the
- Includes a concise description of each stage as well as a
more detailed information sheet
- The equation-writing activity includes some guided
- Students describe and explain the sequence of processes
occurring during the extraction and production of copper.
- Students identify the physical and chemical changes
occurring during the production of copper
- Students recognise that minerals such as copper ore
provide valuable resources.
- Students write word or balanced symbol equations to
represent the smelting of copper concentrate.
Understanding: Chemical sciences; Earth and space sciences