The Minerals Council of Australia
is acknowledged as
the provider of this resource. This is an interactive resource
through which students can expand their knowledge of
Australia’s rich mineral deposits. Organised into seven
sections, it provides an overview of mineral sources with
information on mineral formation, mineral exploration,
different types of mining, the extraction of minerals from ore
and the processes involved in transforming minerals into
everyday products. This interactive resource for Middle School
students uses the minerals industry as a context for enhancing
students’ literacy skills. It contains links to additional
websites and provides a Teacher Guide with student activities.
- Provides information on Australia’s minerals and the
- Provides opportunities to enhance students’ literacy
- Identifies rock categories and explains how they are
- Shows the types and locations of minerals mined in
- Explains the stages and processes involved in mineral
- Explains different types of mining.
- Emphasises the mechanical and chemical processes involved
in transforming minerals into metals.
- Outlines environmental management practices in the
- Students understand how minerals are formed.
- Students understand the variety of minerals found in
- Students acquire knowledge about mining and processing
- Students increase their understanding of the impact of
mining on the environment.
- Students learn about the current environmental management
practices of the minerals industry.
- Students appreciate the importance of the mining
Science/Science Understanding/Science as a
Human Endeavour English/Language/Literacy