This is a short video showing an explosive blast at a Queensland open cut coal mine. It shows the highwall of the mine before detonations travel rapidly along it, throwing dust and debris into the pit.
Queensland Resources Council acknowledges the assistance of Tarong Energy for the supply of this video clip.
Educational value statement
- Dramatically illustrates the power of the blast and associated energy transformations.
- Can be downloaded as a Flash video file.
Key learning objectives
- Students describe how Earth’s surface can be changed as a result of human activity.
- Students identify the forms of energy involved in an explosion and describe the changes they cause.
- Science Understanding: Earth and space sciences; Physical sciences
Australian Curriculum content statements
Science: ACSSU075; ACSSU155