Find out how copper ore is extracted and turned into copper
metal. This is a PowerPoint presentation showing the
properties, uses and extraction of copper. It includes
details of the mining and processing of copper ore as well as
smelting, converting and refining to produce copper metal.
Most slides contain photographs or labelled diagrams.
Teacher’s notes are included.
Queensland Resources Council acknowledges the assistance
provided by Xstrata Copper in the provision of material for
- Teacher’s notes contain background information and some
suggestions for discussion topics
- Contains explanations of froth flotation, smelting,
converting and electrolytic refining, including chemical
- Can be downloaded as a PPT file.
- Students describe the process of froth flotation and
explain how it can separate the components of mixtures
- Students identify the chemical changes occurring during
the production of copper
- Students recognise that minerals such as copper ore
provide valuable resources
- Students explain how science understanding has influenced
the development of mineral industries.
- Science Understanding: Chemical sciences; Earth and space
- Science as a Human Endeavour: Use and influence of