Find out how a coal-fired power station makes electricity. This
is an animated video in eleven parts which shows the components
and processes in a coal-fired power station. The accompanying
narration explains what happens in each stage. Most of the
statistical information and examples relate to Queensland. QRC
acknowledges the assistance provided by CS Energy and CSIRO
Exploration and Mining in the production of this resource.
- Shows all stages of the power generation process,
including fuel combustion, steam production, turbines and
generators, transformers, the power grid, steam condensation,
filtering of exhaust gases and mentions the potential for
carbon capture and storage.
- Animations demonstrate how each process operates.
- Students describe and explain the sequence of processes
in coal-fired power stations
- Students describe the reversible and irreversible changes
occurring in power stations
- Students describe and explain the energy transformations
occurring in power stations.
Understanding: Chemical sciences; Physical sciences.