Identify how mines affect the environment and investigate
ways of reducing the impact. This is a student worksheet
comprising a diagram showing activities at a mine site and a
table to be completed by the student. Students use the table
to summarise environmental impacts of the mine and actions
taken at the mine to reduce these impacts.
Educational value statement
- The diagram depicts the mine environment and equipment
engaged in both mining and environmental management.
- The table encourages students to examine different
aspects of the environment, such as air, water, energy and
- Can be downloaded as a PDF file.
Key learning objectives
- Students describe changes in the Earth’s surface as a
result of mining.
- Students describe practices at mine sites that reduce
environmental impacts of mining.
- Students explain how scientific understandings influence
- Science Understanding: Earth and space sciences
- Science as a Human Endeavour: Use and influence of
- (Geographical knowledge and understanding: Environment)