Find out what minerals can be found in beach sands and why
they are important to us. This is a PowerPoint presentation
about sand minerals and the products derived from them. It
deals with the origin and deposition of the mineral deposits,
the properties of the minerals zircon, rutile and ilmenite
and their uses as well as those of the metals titanium and
zirconium. Most slides include relevant images. A glossary is
Educational value statement
- Contains detailed information on the mineralogy and
chemical properties of zircon, rutile and ilmenite.
- Includes maps showing global production of heavy sand
- Can be downloaded as a PPT file.
- Students describe how mineral sand deposits form.
- Students discuss the non-renewable nature of mineral
- Students describe how products from sand minerals
contribute to people’s lives.
- Students describe the properties and uses of the minerals
zircon, rutile and ilmenite.
- Science Understanding: Earth and space sciences
- Science as a Human Endeavour: Use and influence of