Find out where we get the coal that powers our homes and
industries. This is a PowerPoint presentation outlining how
coal is formed, mined, processed and used. All slides contain
images or maps. Teacher’s notes are included.
Educational value statement
- Includes maps showing locations of coal deposits in
- Includes details of open-cut and underground mining as
well as site rehabilitation.
- Teacher’s notes contain background information and some
suggestions for activities and discussion topics
- Can be downloaded as a PPT file.
- Students identify coal as an important resource and
describe how it is used
- Students describe how coal is formed and explain why it
is regarded as a non-renewable resource.
- Students describe the methods of mining coal.
- Students explain how mine sites are rehabilitated after
- Science Understanding: Earth and space sciences; Physical
- Science as a Human Endeavour: Use and influence of
- (Geographical knowledge and understanding: Environment)