Experiment with mining using a piece of fruitcake. This is an
activity sheet providing instructions for a simulated mining
experiment. Students use various tools to remove different
fruits, representing different minerals, from a piece of
fruit cake, which represents the mine site. They are then
required to rehabilitate the ‘mine site’. The sheet includes
questions to test student understanding and a teacher guide.
- Simulates the issues related to extracting minerals with
- Deals with the environmental impact of mining
- Includes a section for teachers with details of
requirements, a lesson plan and extension activities
- Can be downloaded as a PDF file.
- Students explain the relationship between rocks and
- Students describe the issues involved in mining and
rehabilitating combined ore bodies
- Students demonstrate how mining can produce changes in
the Earth’s surface.
- Science Understanding: Earth and space sciences
- (Geographical knowledge and understanding: Environment)