Council of Australia is acknowledged as the provider of
This is an interactive resource through which students can
expand their knowledge of Australia’s rich mineral deposits.
Organised into seven sections, it provides an overview of
mineral sources with information on mineral formation,
mineral exploration, different types of mining, the
extraction of minerals from ore and the processes involved in
transforming minerals into everyday products. This
interactive resource for Middle School students uses the
minerals industry as a context for enhancing students’
literacy skills. It contains links to additional websites and
provides a Teacher Guide with student activities.
- Provides information on Australia’s minerals and the
- Provides opportunities to enhance students’ literacy
- Identifies rock categories and explains how they are
- Shows the types and locations of minerals mined in
- Explains the stages and processes involved in mineral
- Explains different types of mining.
- Emphasises the mechanical and chemical processes involved
in transforming minerals into metals.
- Outlines environmental management practices in the
- Students understand how minerals are formed.
- Students understand the variety of minerals found in
- Students acquire knowledge about mining and processing
- Students increase their understanding of the impact of
mining on the environment.
- Students learn about the current environmental management
practices of the minerals industry.
- Students appreciate the importance of the mining
Science/Science Understanding/Science as a Human