Geothermal is considered a form of renewable energy as heat
is continuously produced from deep in the earth. This fact
sheet provides information about geothermal energy in
Australia. It describes the origin of geothermal energy, the
types of resources available, how the energy is extracted,
the potential for geothermal energy and the advantages and
disadvantages of this resource.
- Provides details of geothermal energy resources in
Australia and their development.
- Includes a table listing advantages and disadvantages of
- Includes a map showing crustal temperatures in Australia.
- Can be downloaded as a PDF or MS Word file
- Students differentiate between renewable and
non-renewable energy resources
- Students explain the origin of geothermal energy
- Students describe the types of geothermal energy
- Students explain how geothermal energy is tapped and
- Students list advantages and disadvantages of geothermal
- Science Understanding: Earth and space sciences; Physical
- Science as a Human Endeavour: Use and influence of