Compare the advantages and disadvantages of renewable and
non-renewable energy resources. This is a PowerPoint
presentation, with accompanying teacher notes, which outlines
the characteristics of a range of renewable and non-renewable
sources of energy. It describes the positives and negatives
of renewable energy sources, such as solar energy, and
non-renewable energy sources, such as coal.
Educational value statement
- Reviews a variety of low emission technologies from the
point of view of the minerals and energy sector
- Provides information in point form about each resource.
- Includes images, diagrams and graphs showing present and
projected future energy patterns.
- Outlines the advantages and disadvantages of each
- Includes detailed teacher notes containing suggestions
and additional information for most slides
- Encourages examination of the environmental effects of
- Includes information on the Coal 21 initiative aimed at
reducing greenhouse emissions from coal
- Can be downloaded as a PPT file.
- Students describe how energy from a variety of sources
can be used to generate electricity.
- Students explain what is meant by ‘renewable’ in relation
to the Earth’s resources.
- Students compare renewable and non-renewable energy
sources, including how they are used in a range of situations
- Students critically analyse the validity of information
in secondary sources.
- Science Understanding: Earth and space sciences; Physical
- Science as a Human Endeavour: Use and influence of
- Science Inquiry Skills: Evaluating
- (Geographical knowledge and understanding: Environment).